Wednesday, July 1, 2009

pondering

I have been reading a lot of different things lately. One of the books I have been reading is THE ANALECTS. One passage in particular stuck out. It is Book I, Chapter XVI. It says, "The Master said: 'I will not grieve that men do not know me; I will grieve that I do not know men.'"

I thought of the people that I know. If I use the word "know" loosely, I could say that I "know" a lot of people. But, whom do I really know? Who really knows me? Do I know anyone? All sorts of questions came to mind.

The question that lingers is this: Are there men (or women) left that are worth knowing?

As I tried to think of persons that are worth knowing, I thought of myself. I asked myself, "Am I worth knowing?" What am I doing for others? What else could I be doing? What is the example that I am setting for my child and for other children?

I am still pondering these things. I can think of a few people who are worth knowing. I want to encounter more of those types of people. I want to be a member of that group.

The real question is this; whom do you know that is worth knowing? And, are you worth knowing? These can be rhetorical questions or not. It doesn't matter. These are just some things that have been on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment