1. old fashioned #2 pencils - I don't believe there is anything better than writing with a pencil that actually has to be sharpened. There is something about it that just makes me feel more creative.
2. The sound of the fan as I drift off to sleep...
3. A novel which leaves a lasting impression on me, like Light in August or Skinny Legs and All.
4. Anticipation. I don't know if anticipation about an upcoming event or the event itself is better. Yes I do; the payoff is totally better, but the build-up is so wonderful.
5. Using Faulkner words: lugubrious, braggadocio, effluvium, etc.
2. Moving just before Christmas and in the middle of finals - That's right I am tackling 2 large papers, finals, a one-year old, and moving all in one week. Try not to be jealous.
3. People who think that their animals are like their children. Did you give birth to that dog? No you didn't? Then shut up!!
4. Moby Dick - Actually, I just hate Herman Melville in general.
5. The phrase "I know, right!?"