Friday, December 18, 2009

free

It is official. I am now an undergraduate.

It scares the hell out of me. Of course, I won't get the diploma until May, but I'll keep myself busy with graduate studies until then.

In the past few years, I've learned what the word "stress" actually means. I've also learned how to communicate fully. I am still trying to learn how to listen without excitedly stating my point of view at inappropriate times.

I've learned that putting everything on the line, when done with pure intentions, is always worth it. I am now beginning to fully understand what a truly good man looks like, and it is an incredible sight. I've learned that being honest is not always easy, but in the end making the decision to be honest is well worth it, even while working through the consequences.

I understand that my soul can be cleansed with the tears of another or the laughter of my child.

I know that not watching television is one of the best decisions I've made to date. I know that good novels and poems have likely been edited over and over again. I've learned that books affect my life and thoughts more than any other form of art.

I've learned that following through with stated intentions can be very difficult and very rewarding. I know that patience is a virtue I with which I will always struggle. I have a dry sense of humor. Being an English major has completely changed the way I look at the world; this can probably be said of any field of study.

I know that I will always be a bit unfriendly. I will doubtless always incorporate the words of those that I admire into my own vocabulary.

I know that when I made the decision to live by the words: "If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain" (Dickinson), I made a damn fine decision. While I may only be able to help heal one heart or stop one heart from breaking, I hope to touch the hearts of many.

I don't know who decided that I deserve a degree, a title, but I think that person made a good decision. Pardon my gloating, please.

1 comment:

  1. you're real swell...of course you can gloat...swell folks can get away with that sort of behavior...

    ReplyDelete