Thursday, March 12, 2009

unique?

I wish I could say that I was one of the unique kids in high school. I wish I could say that I wore converse before they were back in style, that I listened to Sunny Day, that I did not ever shop at A&F. I didn't figure myself out for quite a while. During my senior year, things began to come together. I started to realize, slowly, that I didn't actually like a lot of the things that I was in to.

Now I am different. In small-town Arkansas, the things that are important to me may seem strange to many. I don't know. I don't ask their opinion. I am finally comfortable with whom I am. I understand that I am never going to be anything except a matter-of-fact dork. I am good with that. I can freely admit that I would rather read An Underground Education than watch Sex in the City.

In high school I only tried to be like everyone else. I no longer try to be anyone except myself. I don't try to be different or weird. I only try to be, and I don't try...I do. I don't know if I am unique. I suppose that in the grand scheme of things everyone is unique--the snowflake thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment