Saturday, February 20, 2010

perspective

I need to stop being so damn self-involved. This morning I spoke with a woman about death, about funerals to be specific. She bragged that I'd thought about it more than most people my age. Death does not scare me, embalming does scare me, but not death. It is simply another cycle. I ask her if she'd traveled quite a bit, because it seems that this small town had imparted that fact about her to me. She said, "Yes, but not as much as I'd like."

I replied, "Well, keep going. What's stopping you?"

"Right now I'm going through chemo. So that slows me down a quite a bit." she answered. Remember that this is taking place in a fitness center where she is working out.

Here's the thing. I am healthy. I am doing a lot of amazing things. I will not be here forever. I hope that I have the strength she has one day. That's encouragement. She doesn't even know what she's done for my perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment