Friday, July 17, 2009

thirsty

“The goal of mankind is knowledge ... Now this knowledge is inherent in man. No knowledge comes from outside: it is all inside. What we say a man 'knows', should, in strict psychological language, be what he 'discovers' or 'unveils'; what man 'learns' is really what he discovers by taking the cover off his own soul, which is a mine of infinite knowledge.” -Swami Vivekananda

That quote made me think of a poem by Emily Dickinson. (I love Emily, by the way.)

The brain is wider than the sky,
For, put them side by side,
The one the other will include
With ease, and you beside.

The brain is deeper than the sea,
For, hold them, blue to blue,
The one the other will absorb,
As sponges, buckets do.

The brain is just the weight of God,
For, lift them, pound for pound,
And they will differ, if they do,
As syllable from sound.



I don't know which of these came first, because both of these jpeople were alive during the same time, from what I have ascertained. I don't think it matters though.

I am very interested in learning. I want to absorb as much knowledge as possible during my lifetime. I want to experience things. I want to remove the veil from my soul, as it were.

I will let Em and Vivekananda do the rest of the talking for me, since they both put it much more eloquently.

No comments:

Post a Comment